Saturday, April 22, 2006

Tom Cruise talks about fatherhood

Tom Cruise has starred in 14 blockbusters over 25 years, and is trying to power another one to the stratosphere.
But it's in the other role he landed recently, he says, where he really feels the pressure: As father of a newborn.

"It's indescribable," Cruise tells USA Today. "You hold this newborn, and you realize you've got responsibilities like you've never had before."

Cruise, who stars in May 5's Mission: Impossible III, had been promoting his film worldwide when the arrival of his first child with fiancee Katie Holmes brought everything to a screeching halt Tuesday. Their daughter, Suri, weighed in at 7 pounds, 7 ounces. Her name means "princess" in Hebrew and "red rose" in Persian.

Mother and newborn are doing well, Cruise says. Cruise has two children, Isabella, 13, and Connor, 11, with his second wife, Nicole Kidman.

"I thought I had been used to long days and nights on movie sets," Cruise said Friday. "But I think I've forgotten what sleep is."

Cruise says he was hesitant to resume doing promotional interviews for the movie, which is directed by J.J. Abrams, the creator of Lost and Alias.

"I talked it over with Katie, and she said 'Go, go, everything's great,'" Cruise says. "But I don't want to do anything that keeps me away from home for too long. I just want to be near my family."

Source: USA Today

No comments:

Post a Comment