Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gwyneth Paltrow Opens Up About Post-Partum Depression

Gwyneth Paltrow may appear to have the picture perfect life. The actress recently sat down with Vogue magazine to reveal that things haven't always felt so bright admitting that she battled with depression following the birth of son Moses two years ago.

“You know, I had postnatal depression after Moses," Paltrow says in the May issue of the magazine. “I didn’t know I had it until after it was over. I just didn’t know what was wrong with me...I felt really out of my body. I felt really disconnected. I felt really down; I felt pessimistic.”

Paltrow believes that part of the reason the depression hit her was that she had stopped some of her regular prebaby treatments, like acupuncture and massage.

The busy mom of two says that becoming a mom has let her give up some of the fashionable items she used to covet. She's worked to pare her daily wardrobe down to some of the basics --like minidresses and tights, a pair of jeans, two coats and a couple of different-style boots in the winter.

“It’s like I want to eliminate all of the fuss,” Paltrow says. “I don’t have time anymore to sit there and be like, What should I wear? What goes with this?”

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:47 AM

    Up to 70% of women experience ‘the baby blues’ following childbirth. More serious depression occurs in 10-20%. I remember feeling very ‘weepy’ for several weeks after my daughter was born and also rather embarassed about it. Whilst there is much focus on the physical health of mother and child there appears to be a dearth of appropriate support for women to process their emotions following childbirth. Jenny Hyatt, Founder, bigwhitewall.com

    ReplyDelete