Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Jodie Foster Talks Motherhood and Raising Boys

Jodie Foster is getting nostalgic about parenthood now that her sons, Charlie, 9, and Kit, 6, are getting "older". She recently talked with More magazine about her boys and how being a mom doesn't define her. Here are some highlights:

On being a mom of two boys:
"There's a lot about me that's like my mom, but she's a different generation. My mom has never held a ball in her hand in her life. I have two boys. Now I really see the differences. She starts with the Barbie thing. And I'm like, 'No Barbies. What are you thinking, Mom?'"

On being a planner:
"I have a plan for everything. I design everything ahead of time, to a fault. In five years, I want to do this, in two years I want to do that. I planned my family -- 'Now I'm ready.'"

On being a complete woman:
"Having children hasn't changed the person I am. It's reconfirmed who I was. I would not be doing the same things or living in the same places or pursuing the same things if I hadn't had children. There are many things that I know that I sacrificed because I had kids. And no, I wouldn't change anything. But I'm sick of hearing that every woman should have children and if they don't, they're not whole."

On her boys growing up:
"When my kids were tiny, I was caught up in the identity of being a mom. You're still changing diapers, and it feels like it's going to last forever."

On being an ordinary mom:
"Every once in a while I'll have one of those days when I've fed the fish, cleaned 10 poops from the patio, taken the cat to the vet, sewn my son's stupid karate stars on until my fingers bleed and made sure that he has everything, and he wakes up and goes, 'Oh, what's for breakfast?' He doesn't know, and why should he? Right? But there's absolutely no sort of acknowledgment or reward for this – except for the intangible of my kids growing up to be wonderful people."

On cosmetic surgery:
"It's not my thing. I don't have anything against it for other people. Whatever they want to do, I'm fine with it. For me, it's really a self-image thing. Like, I'd rather have somebody go, 'Wow, that girl has a bad nose' than 'Wow, that girl has a bad nose job.' I'd rather have a comment about who I am than about something that identifies me as being ashamed of who I am."

On being a young star in Hollywood:
"Thank god when I was 18 they didn't have people following you around; they respected the fact that I was 18. There wasn't that star status when I was coming up as a young actor, and you didn't get paid very much. Now you'll have 20-year-olds making huge amounts of money. It's just a different time. I was also different than [today's young stars] are. I didn't want to be a famous actor and I wasn't even sure I wanted to be an actor. So I was in it for different reasons."

Source: More

No comments:

Post a Comment