Thursday, November 02, 2006

Kate Winslet on Love and Loss

Kate Winslet struggled with her weight as a teen which caused her to retreat inward she says People in its upcoming issue. She says, "I was shy. I was vulnerable."

When the other kids called her names and bullied her, "I would just put my head down and get on with it. This was my means of survival."

At 15 she found love and acceptance with her first love, television actor and writer Stephen Tredre.

"Stephen made me feel secure and embraced," says Winslet.

"Stephen was very inspiring," She says. "He had this extraordinary zest for life. My life revolved around him."

By the age of 16, Winslet had dropped out of high school and was working in a deli when she landed her first film role: the lead in 1994's Peter Jackson-directed Heavenly Creatures.

Soon after in 1995, Tredre was diagnosed with bone cancer.

"There was no point to his suffering. No rhyme or reason to it," she says. "When Stephen had gotten better and his cancer was in remission, we broke up. I don't know why. I was so young, when I look back on it. Only 19. How could I have left a person who was so unwell? I thought Stephen was going to be all right."

After their split, "He got ill again. Stephen and I talked every day. This was not somebody I'd turn my back on."

Tredre died in 1997, the same week that Titanic opened. Winslet skipped the movie's Los Angeles premiere to be at his funeral.

"Looking back," she says, "I see what I was dealing with when Titanic came out. I had a lot of pain, and I was confused about who I was."

Source: PEOPLE

No comments:

Post a Comment