Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Kirstie Alley Covers Ladies Home Journal

Kirstie Alley is featured on the cover this month's Ladies Home Journal. In the interview, the actress doesn't hold anything back and opens up about her life, her struggle with weight loss, and facing the world through the eyes of a reality show.

Note - I'm totally loving her new show, Kirstie Alley's Big Life, and her candid view of life without a filter.

On her new show:
“The most interesting part of life is the journey…Over the years I’ve lost weight, then I’ve gained it back. But no one has seen what happened in between. This show follows that journey.”

On the impact that the negative press regarding her battle with weight has had on her life:
“My self esteem was basically zero, it was so hard to get the eating under control. It made me completely self-conscious. I stopped going out, especially to restaurants. I stopped seeing my friends. I succumbed to the meanness and attacks and lost my way in the process. I’m telling you it was hell.”

On her most recent weight gain:
“It was insane! I’m disgusted with myself! I let myself down and, worse than that, I let other people down. People were looking up to me for losing all that weight and then I went and got all chub on them. And I set a bad example for my children. I’m finally ready to pay everybody back.”

On lying to herself about her weight:
“When we get fat, we fool ourselves with every kind of lie imaginable. By 2008 my weight started creeping up and I said, ‘Oh, I still look good at 150. I still look good at 155. I still look okay at 165. Some of my clothes still fit at 175. ‘And nobody was saying ‘You’re fat.’ I was like a bank robber who was getting away with it.”

On her love of Twitter:
“When you’re famous you can’t really talk to normal people. It’s all about having your picture taken or people wanting something from you. On Twitter I can say, ‘What’s your life like? What are your challenges? It has opened up a whole new reality to me, I haven’t had since I’ve been recognized as an actor.”

On her love life:
“Nonexistent. As I get older it’s harder to know what I would want in a relationship. I love spending time with my kids and my friends and my animals. I love traveling and working. The last thing I need to think about is some dude.”

Source: Ladies Home Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment