Monday, December 14, 2009

Giada De Laurentiis on the Cover of Shape



Food Network star Giada De Laurentiis is featured on the cover of the December issue of Shape magazine. In the article, the chef talks family, food, and turning 40.

On her post-baby diet following the arrival of her 20-month-old baby Jade Marie:
"I gained 22 pounds, which doesn't sound like much, but I'm only 5'3", so it was a lot for my height. Because I had a C-section, I couldn't work out for a long time afterward, so I knew the best way for me to lose weight was through diet. The first two weeks were hard, but I got over the hump by eating a lot of fruit and replacing sugar with healthier alternatives, like brown rice syrup and agave nectar."

On learning to love yoga while she was expecting:
"I thought, 'Oh, this will be a good way to stretch,' but it turned out to be so much more!. It taught me to breathe, it strengthened my muscles, and it helped me relax... If I don't do it first thing, I simply won't do it. With my crazy schedule, that often means cutting into my sleep. But yoga gives me the energy and focus I need to get through my day. I'm not saying I don't need a cup of coffee in the afternoon sometimes, but it's the yoga that definitely keeps me centered."

On appreciating food as a family builder:
"I learned tradition from my grandfather, who grew up selling pasta in Naples; simplicity from my mom, who had four kids and had to get dinner on the table fast every night; and creativity from my aunt, who is my cooking soul mate. She finds the recipes and we tweak them. We've been doing that since I was a kid."

Source: Shape

No comments:

Post a Comment