Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Jennie Garth and Her Girls on Cookie



We've been watching Jennie Garth on television for nearly twenty years -- first as the iconic Kelly Taylor in Beverly Hills, 90210 then as older sister Valerie Tyler on What I Like About You. This month the 37-year-old mother of three is featured on the cover of Cookie magazine along with daughters Luca, 12, Lola, 6, and Fiona, 3.

Some highlights from the issue:

On building a strong family base for her girls:
"We're always together, maybe to a fault! We like to be together, I think more than most child psychologists or even my mother would say is healthy. But there will come a time when they don't want to be with me, so I'm reveling in it now."

On disciplining three girls of varies ages:
"I had to give my 6-year-old four time-outs two days ago. She kept hitting. I don't spank, though sometimes I think, These time-outs aren't working! What's next? [I aim for] consistency, and not making idle threats. They have to know there are consequences for violence, name-calling, and not doing household chores. They're all in such different places, but all those places require boundaries."

On how pregnancy was a considered a career-killer early in her career:
"There weren't many actresses willing to have kids, because they thought it would jeopardize their career or their desirability. There was an actress on an Aaron Spelling soap opera who got sued for getting pregnant. I got pregnant right after her, while I was on an Aaron Spelling show. But I knew he'd be supportive."

On suffering from mommy brain:
"It's almost like I have some kind of disorder—I don't remember the good things... or the bad."

On how she juggles acting work and motherhood:
"When you're a full-time mom and you work a few days here and there, it's hard to pace yourself. I want to know what my kids are eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I want to know how much activity they've had in a day. It's difficult to keep it all in order."

On how she compares herself to other celebrity moms:
"I think, this lady has all of this time to do amazing stuff. She has this amazing marriage. Everything in her life sounds perfect. My life is not like that."

Source: Cookie

No comments:

Post a Comment