Thursday, April 23, 2009

Matthew McConaughey Talks Fatherhood



Matthew McConaughey recently sat down with People magazine to answer questions from their readers. In the interview, the Ghosts of Girlfriends Past star dished on fatherhood, changing diapers, and his outlook on life.

Some highlights:

On working with Jennifer Garner in Ghosts of Girlfriends Past:
"I had a ball with Jennifer. She's very elegant, yet sort of a classic woman, actress. She does her own thing, and she also doesn't bring a lot of hoity-toity false drama to the process. But she's also very sly and cunning and witty. She's with it and she's fun to work with. You might think you're pulling one over on her, and she'll flip it right around. She's very keen and coy."

On having his heart broken:
"Oh yeah, I had my heart broken several times, especially growing up. It starts off with having a good mom who comes in, sees you're heartbroken, lets you sit there for a while and then the next morning it was like, "Let's get on with it! You're going to get back out there." She'd always tell us, "It was their loss." It made us feel better. It got us back out the door. We were never allowed to stay around and sulk about anything."

On whether he changes diapers and getting peed on:
"Yes! And yes! More than a few times to both. And he [Levi] gets the joke when he pees on me. He laughs. He laughs his butt off! I think I am [good at changing diapers]. I could have a race-off with some other dads out there."

On how becoming a dad has changed him:
"The coolest thing I've learned from Levi is kids really remind you of [your] sense of humor. Like I was just saying, they pee on you and they're just laughing and all of sudden you're reminded of having a sense of humor about everything. You can watch Levi, and everything he sees is for the first time, so you see the wonder in something we see every day. You see the wonder of picking up a coffee cup and hitting on the plate and it makes a sound and all of sudden for 15 minutes the kid is just entertained with this little thing. So it's reminded me to see things for the first time, not in a naïve way, but in an innocent way. It's a ball!"

On his outlook on life:
"I think I'm pretty good at localizing and I also enjoy people and conversations and I like to share opinions. I'm not as chill if I don't get my sleep, I'll tell you that. So getting a good night sleep and I don't really leave crumbs in my life, if you know what I mean. When you leave crumbs in your life, you have a reason to look over your shoulder. A lot people tend to be anxious because they're looking over their shoulder a little bit."

Source: People

No comments:

Post a Comment