Monday, April 13, 2009

Madonna Talks About Failed Adoption Attempt

Madonna has made her first comments about her recent failed attempt to adopt 3-year-old Mercy James in Malawi. The comments appear in Malawi's Nation newspaper in response to questions emailed to her.

"I want to provide Mercy with a home, a loving family environment and the best education and healthcare possible," she states. "And it's my hope that she, like David, will one day return to Malawi and help the people of their country."

Madonna adds: "Though I have been advised that I cannot publicly discuss the pending appeal regarding my desire to adopt Mercy, I do want to say how much I appreciate the level of support that I have received from the people of Malawi and my friends around the world."

Her adoption application was denied by Judge Esimie Chombo because she didn't meet the country's 18 to 24 month residency requirement. The popstar is currently appealing that decision.

Madonna previously adopted son David Banda, 3, from Malawi in 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment