Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Kate Winslet Talks Exercise, Oscar, and Her Idea of Happiness



Actress Kate Winslet is featured on the new issue of Vanity Fair magazine and opens up about her issues with her weight as a child, acting, exercise, and happiness.

Some highlights from the interview:

On her issues with her weight as a former 'fat kid':
"I was fat. I didn't know any fat famous actresses. I just did not see myself in that world at all, and I'm being very sincere. You know, once a fat kid, always a fat kid. Because you always think that you just look a little bit wrong or a little bit different from everyone else. And I still sort of have that."

On being checked out by other moms when she walks her children, Mia and Joe, to school:
"You know, these mothers are going to read this article and they're all absolutely great, but I know when I walk into that classroom in the morning, even if it's for a split second, at some point I'm being checked out. Some of them will even say to me, 'O.K., what's the secret with the skin?' At which point I'm like, 'Oh my God, there's no secret. I have makeup on. And by the way, since I turned 30, I've had an acne problem on my chin. I'm just like everybody else--I just know how to cover it. If you'd like me to show you how, I'd be more than happy.'"

On her desire to win an Oscar (she's been nominated five times and never won):
"Do I want it? You bet your f***ing a** I do! I think that people assume that I don't care or don't want it or don't need it or something. It's hard to be there five times, and I'm only human, you know? But I don't go home and cry, because we're all grown-ups here."

On her exercise routine:
"Everyone can commit to 20 minutes, especially if there's a glass of Chardonnay afterwards."

On her idea of happiness:
"I need to be looked after. I'm not talking about diamond rings and nice restaurants and fancy stuff--in fact, that makes me uncomfortable. I didn't grow up with it and it's not me, you know. But I need someone to say to me, 'Shall I run you a bath?' or 'Let's go to the pub, just us.' I mean, the things that make me happiest in the whole world are going on the occasional picnic, either with my children or with my partner. Big family gatherings, and being able to go to the grocery store--if I can get those things in, I'm doing good."

Source: Vanity Fair

No comments:

Post a Comment