Thursday, January 17, 2008

Brooke Burke Blogs About Childbirth

Brooke Burke has posted a new blog posting on her website, Baboosh Baby. The article is all about her own fears of childbirth, her previous experiences and the importance of having a birth plan.

She writes, "It's 4:00 am. I've been up with Sierra all night who is sick now too. It seems to be passing through my family one by one. I can't sleep so I thought I'd write. I am also going through that stage of tossing and turning, switching form side to side, and dreaming of labor! I can not wait to meet my baby.

"I went to an amazing premiere a few nights ago called The Business Of Being Born. It's a documentary by Ricky Lake about the birthing process and the many choices we have. It was very emotional, informative and shocking in many ways. The information it provided for expectant mothers was eye opening and a bit disturbing. It was pro home birth. I used to think I wanted to experience that, but I was quickly talked out of it by my ex who is a Doctor, and very conservative. It turns out that I delivered Neriah 5 weeks premature, and it would have been a very dangerous situation. I went into labor with Sierra 3 wks early, and I was induced with Rain for several reasons 2 wks early. As much as the thought of a candle lit, warm bath delivery at home sounds kind of cool; I think I feel safer in the hospital. I have to admit though, after watching the film I really hope that all things happen naturally in my body and I can deliver with out being induced.
"I think it is so important to have a birthing plan and go over it with your Doctor. I know many women who have had a traumatic experience because of a lack of information, intimacy, and fear. Try to be as informed as possible before you get close to your due date about the process, get all your questions answered. If a natural delivery is important to you, find out what your Dr.'s percentage of c-sections is, and how often he educes and why. You can also have a Dula present at your birth, in or out of the hospital.

"Sometimes what we imagine and wish for is out of our control because of unexpected circumstances or complications. I don't want to scare anyone, because labor is scary enough, but get informed, so you can have a beautiful experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment