Thursday, November 22, 2007

Birth Mother Talks About Decision to Place Zahara Jolie-Pitt Up for Adoption

The reported mother of Angelina Jolie's two-year-old daughter Zahara has talked about her daughter's conception and the events that led up to her being adopted.

The woman, Mentwabe Dawit, has disclosed that she was attacked in 2004 while walking home from work in the southern Ethiopian town of Awasa.

"He pulled a dagger, put one hand on my mouth, so that I could not scream. He then raped me and disappeared," she tells Reuters.

Dawit, 24, decided to keep the pregnancy a secret until she was no longer able to hide it. She gave birth to the child at her family's home. She named the baby girl Yemsrach which means good news in the Amharic language.

She soon found herself unable to feed herself and the child and the baby "became malnourished and was even unable to cry. I was desperate and decided to run away, rather than see my child dying."

She left the child with her mother who made the decision to put her up for adoption.

Dawit gave the interview in order to deny recent reports that she wants her birth daughter back.

"I have never disputed the adoption of my baby by Angelina Jolie," she said. "I think my daughter is a very fortunate human being to be adopted by a world famous lady. I wish them both all the success they deserve."

Source: Reuters

No comments:

Post a Comment