Friday, August 31, 2007

Jodie Foster Breaks the Hollywood Mold

Oscar winner Jodie Foster is proud of the life and career she has forged out in Hollywood. Her latest film, The Brave One, opens this month and the ground breaking actress recently talked with Entertainment Weekly about how she's broken the Hollywood mold.

Some highlights:

On life in Hollywood:
“I can feel a little grossed out by L.A. but, hey, it’s nice to feel superior! Clearly you have to wear a lot of rubber to get through this town. My kids are so innocent. They're not L.A. kids and none of their little friends are.”

On making movies:
“I make movies with real technicians who wake up at four in the morning and wear Patagonia everything. I don’t make them with wives of executives who have fake lips. I was never the ingĂ©nue or the pretty girlfriend of Tom Cruise in a movie. I didn’t have that career, so I don’t have to compete on that level.”

On intentionally avoiding being part of the Brat Pack:
"I got insecure because I made this conscious choice when I was 18 and 19 not to do any of those coming of age devirginization movies, to be a part of any kind of Brat Pack. They were the hot items here in L.A. and I was living in Connecticut and going to college. I knew some of those guys so I did feel like a bit like a loser. ‘What are you guys doing tonight? I’m studying for this French test.’”

On growing up a child actor:
“Everybody tells you as a child actor that by the time you’re 18, it’ll be over, so you need to be prepared. knew that. My mom got me real nice and prepared for that. It’s a weird business. It’s a weird thing for a child to be doing. And it’s a really, really weird thing for an adolescent to be doing. When you have pimples and you feel bad about yourself and you’re kind of overweight, you should not be a public figure. That’s just mean.”

On organized religion:
“I’m an atheist. But I absolutely love religions, and I love the rituals. Even though I don’t believe in God. Pretty much every religion we celebrate in our family with the kids. They love it and when they say “Are we Jewish?” or “Are we Catholic?” I say “Well, I’m not, but you can choose when you’re 18. But isn’t this fun that we do Seders and advent calendar?”

On talking about her kids (son Charlie, 9, and Kit, 5):

"I don't not talk about them. Do people say I don't talk about them? It's kind of weird to go into long detail about them when you're trying not to invite scrutiny in your private life. But it's hard not to because I love them and they're so fun and they're on my mind all the time. It's funny — we went to a parade the other day. And the whole idea of a parade is to get joyful and loose. When you have a kid, you hope that they feel that way, because you're spending the whole time going, ''Do you have your eye on him?! He's wearing an orange hat! I hope he's not going to get lost in the crowd!'' You can't turn off all the worry. So I purposely don't drag them into places where it's going to be a nest of public attention."


Entertainment Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment