Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Keisha Castle-Hughes Talks About Being a New Mom

Keisha Castle-Hughes was surprised when she found herself pregnant last fall, but she was even more thrown by the public outrage she faced after announcing her pregnancy.

"I was scared when I found out. I thought, I'm going to tell everyone, and everyone is going to celebrate," she says.

Instead the announcement brought about a public debate on her age and social conventions regarding pregnancy.

"Absolutely everyone in [New Zealand] had something to say about it. I thought, At the end of the day, I am going to be the one looking after this baby in the middle of the night, and it doesn't affect you."

She admits that she planned on having a natural birth and not wanting and pain relief, but by the time she arrived at the hospital she "was screaming for an epidural."

After two hours of pushing, the doctors told her that the baby's head was in a difficult position and wouldn't budge so thaty would need to perform a high-forceps delivery. "I was really upset, because I though everything was going so wrong. But I knew I would do anything to make sure my baby was healthy."

She says that finally holding her daughter, Felicity Amore, "was just the most amazing moment."

For now, she's putting her career on the back burner and leaning on her mom for support.

She says, "In the last four years alone, I have done more than a lot of 40-year-olds have. I'm about as ready for this as I could ever be."

Source: US Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment