Monday, April 23, 2007

Madonna and David's Biological Dad Fail to Meet

Madonna and 20-month-old son, David, have returned to London and a planned meeting with the child's biological father, Yohane Banda, never took place during her recent six-day visit to Malawi.

“I never met him,” said Banda. “Plans were there for me to meet David but it never happened.”

David was placed in the Home of Hope orphanage after his mother died during childbirth. Madonna and husband Guy Ritchie began the procedures to adopt David last October and at the time told his biological father that they would be bringing David back occasionally to visit him.

Madonna's recent trip was to inaugurate her new orphanage in Lilongwe and to promote other philanthropic projects.

According to Banda, the government’s Director of Child Welfare services, Penston Kilembe told him that “meeting me was not on the agenda but [Madonna’s] people said if time allowed she would meet me.”

Banda was in another town visiting his ailing former brother-in-law and his brother Pofera stopped at the ophanage to visit David on his behalf.

“I think people mistook Pofera for me” says Banda. “Pofera told me David still looks exactly like me. He told us David is very healthy, he runs a lot and can speak a little coherently.”

What does Banda have to say to David’s new family?

“They have to know David's roots. But I know it will happen one day, some day, hopefully before my mother (58-year-old Asineti Mwale) dies. I must say my mother was looking forward to meet David and she was a little sad it was never to happen. But I assured her it will happen one day.”

“To the whole family...I wish to say thank you for looking after David,” Banda said. “I know you won't let David forget his roots. I know when he grows up he will assist his kilth and kin to come out of poverty.”

Source: US Weekly

No comments:

Post a Comment