Friday, November 13, 2009

Jerry Seinfeld: Everything is Second to Family

Once upon a time, Jerry Seinfeld was America's premiere confirmed bachelor. These days the funnyman has found happiness as a middle-aged married guy with wife Jessica and their children -- Sascha, 9, Julian, 6, and Shepherd, 4.

Recently the 55-year-old comedian talked with UK's GQ magazine about reuniting with the cast of Seinfeld, putting his stand-up career behind his family, and his new view of the funny side of life.

On his continuing career in standup:
"It's a fairly short circuit from effort to reward... it's far longer in movies and television, but in stand-up is a very direct circuit. If you get something right, you really feel it, right in your chest, on stage. I think it's an incomparable experience."

On not getting caught up in the drug and alcohol scene in Los Angeles:
"Probably I'm just naturally not inclined. It takes up enough of my time and interest just working on comedy. I just enjoy it and love doing it. I never really got distracted by other things. I think I was probably just lucky. I've certainly seen a lot of other people step into those potholes and it's very easy to do in this business."

On reunited with the Seinfeld cast on Curb Your Enthusiasm:
"It came out really good. Larry and I were both thrilled. We really felt like we added an epilogue to Seinfeld, which we never thought we'd be able to do. You get to catch up with these people ten years later and hear what they thought about it. It was really interesting to collide these two universes."

On his career taking second place to fatherhood:
"Yeah I'm doing everything! That's another great thing about stand-up - you can take time off when you want to. It's like being a plumber. You can work when you want to. I get to roll around with them [the kids] all the time - it's fantastic."

On seeing the funny gene in his children:
"Watching my kids, especially my daughter, it does seem to be in the DNA somewhere because I see her falling asleep with these big joke books. She's eight years old - she can read anything, why's she reading jokes? I think it's somewhere in the biology."

Source: British GQ

No comments:

Post a Comment